With each passing year, the world takes a deeper dive into the digital landscape. Since the turn of the century, we have witnessed a rapid rise in the growth of revolutionary technologies like Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML), and every industry has benefitted, including the Advertising Industry.
Leading brands worldwide use Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising to cut through the competition and make their foothold immediately. However, the existing PPC approach has its flaws, which leads us to-
How Artificial Intelligence helps PPC Advertisers?
In July 2018, Google rebranded its advertising platform from AdWords to Google Ads. Since then, Machine Learning has been playing a significant role in shaping the future of Google Ads. And in the same year, Google also announced several updates related to PPC advertising, which lead to the introduction of Artificial Intelligence.
The advantage of using AI with PPC is the fact that you can target an audience more precisely. It allows advertisers to target based on a specific gender, location, interest, education, age, browsing behavior, etc. This specified targeting results in fewer wasted clicks and also results in robust, relevant, optimized ads. AI even makes a PPC campaign automated. Therefore, any human faults get eliminated, and a lot of time gets saved
How is Artificial Intelligence enhancing PPC Campaigns?
In recent times, the integration of AI has been a significant change witnessed in improving the productivity of Google Ads. Since 2018, Google has been introducing several AI Tools to help target the right audience and strategies to automate the entire PPC campaign.
Specialized AI Tools to create effective ads
1. Responsive Search Ads
Responsive search ads let you create an ad that adapts to show more text and more relevant messages to your customers. By making your ad’s content in a way to closely match potential customers’ search terms, responsive search ads improve your campaign’s performance.
Responsive search ads got introduced to provide more space and flexibility to the advertiser. How?
- Up to three Headlines (instead of two) and two 90-character descriptions (instead of one 80-character)
- Up to 15 Headlines and 4 descriptions for a single responsive search ad
Google Ads AI uses machine learning and data analysis to determine the most relevant combination for a specific user search query. The 15 Headings, 4 Description rule provides Google many possible combinations to show depending on the particular search.
2. Ad Strength
The two key factors that determine how effective an ad is are- quality and performance.
The Ad Strength Metric by Google Ads gives advertisers recommendations while they are creating or editing an ad. Once done, the advertiser can figure out the relevance, quality, and diversity of the ad content immediately and make changes accordingly. Thus, the quality of your ad increases significantly.
3. Optimization Score
Optimization Score Metric estimates your Google Ads account performance. The score ranges from 0% to 100%. If the score is 100%, it means your campaign is at its full potential. Google Ads make use of AI and ML to evaluate your PPC campaign & checks if they are fully-optimized. The system even recommends the actions that can get taken to increase the score. Recommendations which have a higher impact on performance get given more weight.
Strategies for Automation of a PPC Campaign
1. Automated Bidding
The Automated Bidding strategy solves two concerns of advertisers:
- Helps in figuring out whether their bids are high enough to compete
- Helps in figuring out if their bids are way too high & are getting shown to uninterested customers
Unlike manual bidding, Google automatically sets a bid amount based on the likelihood of your ad resulting in a click or conversion.
Currently, there are 7 automated bidding strategies for advertisers to choose from:
- Maximize Clicks: Helps in maximizing clicks within a set budget.
- Target Outranking Share: Helps in outranking another advertiser’s domain.
- Target Search Page Location: Increases the chances of your ad to appear on the first page or at the top of search results in Google.
- Target Cost-Per-Acquisition (CPA): Gives more control over automated bidding.
- Enhanced Cost-Per-Click (ECPC): Google automatically adjusts your manual bids to help generate more conversions while trying to achieve the same cost-per-conversion.
- Target Return on Ad Spend (ROAS): Automatically sets your bids to help you receive as much conversion value as possible at your set ROAS.
- Maximize Conversions: Automatically sets bids to help you receive the most conversions while spending your entire budget. With this strategy, Google optimizes for a higher volume of conversions.
2. Smart Campaigns
If used correctly, Google Smart Campaigns is one of the best AI-based options for small businesses in the entire Google Ads platform. Smart campaigns allow advertisers to highlight the main selling points of your product and attract customers. You have the choice of creating a single campaign or run multiple campaigns to display different products or services of your business.
Benefits of running a Google Smart Campaign for PPC are:
- Once you set up your account, Google looks after the keyword selection, targeting, bidding, which provides advertisers the luxury to focus on other tasks.
- You don’t have to pay any third-party agency. You team up with Google Ads and run the Smart Campaign yourself.
- They are best for small to medium-sized businesses with little to no experience in managing PPC.
- Smart Campaigns use a simplified, easy-to-use dashboard that highlights the primary stats of the ongoing campaign.
- Your ads get automatically displayed across Google search, search partners, and Google display ads to achieve optimal performance.
In Conclusion, Artificial Intelligence has proven to be a game-changer in the world of PPC Advertising, irrespective of a small or large business. In a short space of time, advertisers and marketers have understood its true potential and are already escalating towards implementing it to convert their small budget into a huge success.
If you are planning to include AI in your existing PPC Campaign or looking to build a PPC campaign from scratch, look no further than Digital Magus. We highly-equip ourselves in combining modern technologies with your preferred Ad campaign to deliver an immediate conversion boost to your online business.
Contact us today!